Originally Posted by BC30cal
kamo;
Afternoon again my friend.

Are most of these treasures stuff you've found over the years by looking in the right places?

The documents from the 1780's is crazy cool to me.

Thanks again for sharing.

Dwayne

My friend Dwayne, I can't take much credit, as much of it was simply stuff I inherited from family during the clean out of my late aunt's estate in upstate NY more than a decade ago. I just recognized that there was history being trashed. I took lots of stuff that I literally pulled out of dumpsters. I couldn't believe they'd just pitched the things they did. My old man and brother considered it garbage. I'm glad I was on scene to take it home and save it. Go figure.

As far as those old documents, when I found them I thought they might be reproductions, so went to a couple of appraisers on a free eval basis. Actually, one of the guys in Boston was the long time staff expert who did many evals over the years for PBS' Antiques Roadshow. He said that they were all real but couldn't offer a value, as he was really a rare/antique book guy. He did refer me to another guy who I brought the 1780 inspection report. This fellow took it in his hands and about 30 seconds later he offered me $4500 for it on the spot. This a guy from Skinner, which is a Boston version of Christie's auction house of NY. I told him thanks, but I liked it fine on my wall, but appreciated learning it was genuine and rare. He was surprised I liked it so much, I think.

I'll likely donate it and a lot of other of these things to historical societies or something someday. My wife has some truly remarkable old stuff she inherited from family Japan as well, but she keeps that stuff hidden from me, I think. It's not down in the basement with my stuff/crap. That I do know.

Anyway, sorry for running on. I hope you and yours are doing great, sir. You always bring class and smiles to the table.