Originally Posted by FatCity67
Someday I hope to know the provenance on that letter, other than the translated text. Whatever mi Abuelo knew he took to his grave.

Grandfather's Spanish made Eibar 44mag "1873 Colt"

Man, what a wonderful family heirloom, Fats.

Barry, those marbles are way cool, and the bills too!

Geno, great stuff. I'll have to look up that EA book and grab a copy. Thanks! You just reminded me of a pair of thick printed books I own, both of which I bought at a yard sale years ago for 5 bucks. They are law books, of all things; two volumes of a three volume set on the Laws of England. The first volume was printed by hand and published in the year 1629. They probably started the thing 10 years earlier... wink

Morewood, yes, five members of my family were locked up or 'interned' if you will, during WWII. My Grandma, grandpa, my dad and his two sisters. Sachi was a baby at the time and my dad was 5. Aya, the eldest child and the one whose belongings I inherited, was 20. Good old EO 9066. My family, along with ~110K others-- with about 2/3 of those being American citizens-- pretty much lost everything they couldn't carry and were first told to report to a co-called assembly center. There were around 15 of those on the west coast.

My family reported to the Santa Anita racetrack as ordered, where they were housed in horse stalls. 'Hey, this isn't a Holiday Inn Express at ALL!' They were then sent to Manzanar, which was one of 11 actual internment camps. That was before being shipped to the Gila River internment desert camp in AZ for almost 3 years. Not very good times for my family, but they stuck it out. Unlike Sachi's future husband's family, who chose to return to Japan, which was an option the US goobermint offered to all that were to be locked up. Their family was returned all right, to a place called Hiroshima. Whoops!