Originally Posted by Cross
Listen to the Long Range pursuits podcast Esp:103. 6.5"s have been banned from a bunch of big bull elk outfitters. Nothing wrong with a 6.5 Creedmoor. In fact, there's a lot right with the cartridge, but its been sold as a long range Bazooka to a lot of people who couldn't hit the ground with their hat. Great deer, antelope, and small pig cartridge, but only a minimal elk cartridge. If your wife or kid can only handle a 6.5 Creedmoor, train them up and hope for the best. Its very doable.

However, its minimal. It's only what works when everything is right. Not running shots, not big solid shoulder shots, not running away shots and DEFINITELY not 500-600 yard shots. I don't care what others have done with the cartridge, or whats on video, I'm talking about when things don't go right.

I hunt elk with a 7RM and consider it to be no bigger than what elk hunting requires.

In summary, the 6.5 Creedmoor is great for deer and antelope but its been way oversold and real rifle guys are sick of the hype.. if you show up in my elk camp with one and aren't a little kid, a woman, or disabled, you can pack your igrorant ass back to town with your wee rifle and maybe make a few stock trades, call the signifant other and discuss the chances of Gavin in 2024.

Cross

Well thought out post.

Only women and kids can shoot well enough to smash bulls at 550yds with a 6.5CM.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.