Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
I hate the 350 "pseudo legend" and there's no reason for it to exist other than to sell new rifles and new ammo.

Have to admit I live in Intermountain west with no real need for straight wall artillery but I can still hate the 350 Legend. A better solution would be to buy an Henry 38-55 or rebore an Marlin 30-30 to 375win or 38-55. That's probably the ultimate in whitetail gear in those states. Personally I have an little Marlin SBL 44mag and numerous 45-70 rifles and those are ok.

The problem with this 350 Legend is that it's all marketing and doesn't offer anything in performance that's exceptional. We have straight wall vessels that already do all and more than that turd. The saving grace is they are making rifles for the 350 and ammo is available but I still hate it. Thank goodness I can practice in my area with a 270win, 30-06, 30-30, or whatever I see fit.

Many of the folk who comment on the 350 L as a cartridge first of all, keep forgetting, or don’t know, it was created for a niche group of hunters in several states which dictate cartridge spec’s that they will accept as legal for deer. It was never envisioned as some uber cartridge ballistically as it was limited (at the time) to caliber (that is another story in reference to Iowa’s requirements), case length and shape.

Secondly, similar, past straight-wall cartridges which equal or surpass it are mostly a hand loading affair. Factory ammo, if available at all, is not commonly found, nor are rifle offerings. And, yes, rifle makers need a reason to sell more rifles. Ammo makers want to sell ammo. And a lot of deer hunters here, and I presume other “350 L states” don’t reload ammo. They buy factory offerings.

So we have the 350 L, a 357 Magnum Long, which if the lesser to the 38-55 or the 357 Maximum, will not be enough to be noticed at a 150 yds.

Ironically, my state, one of which the cartridge was made for, then, kept the 357 cal minimum but opened it up to bottle-necked cartridges up to 50 cal, legalizing such as the 358 Norma Mag, 358 STA, etc. Have a 416 Rem Mag? Have at it. All of which I found pretty funny. So while I have two 350’s, I also now have a 358 Win.