Tommygs if he gets on here has a fullblood lab that caught on quick how to kill young feral pigs and even went out after them on his own, so labs are fully capable.

Unless you actually SAW what happened, Clod remains a suspect, SOMETHING tore up that deer inside the fence, close to your house, and CLod had already learned how to chase 'em.

I view the issue as one of time and training, dogs are creatures of habit, take the dog around deer and call him back every time he starts to run one, eventually with repetition of this they just get out of the inclination.

Young Clod needs to be walked around livestock too to nip any inclination towards THAT sort of fatal endeavor in the bud.

Worked on my two heelers, who will let deer up and run off without hardly batting an eyelash, OTOH they know rabbits, cats and squirrels are fair game.... UNLESS I call 'em off of those too.

Clod ain't earned a bullet yet, but the potential is there if he ain't worked with.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744