Lived in Alaska for well over 30 years and we left in 2012. Do we miss it? Of course. But IMO it is a state for younger people in good physical health. The cold hard facts are it is expensive, health care can be challenging, and it’s a goat rope to fly out of.
We talk about moving back but doubt it will happen. Getting accustomed to being able to drive anywhere we want on a moment’s notice. A few months ago wife and I were discussing the move and we both agreed if our current property ever sold for a certain price we would do it. Now we find ourself in a position where our property is worth far more than what the trigger point was.
If we could swing a nice house on the Kenai and the ability to fly out for 2 weeks every month during the winter and access a RV in the lower 48 it would sway us to move.
Otherwise we have gotten spoiled/soft. We walk to the deer stand when we want, shoot off the back porch, and can fish year around. Earlier this year a one days drive got us to a charter in the gulf for Tuna.
Our son and his wife were born in Alaska and they talk about moving back. We encourage it because we would visit all summer long:)

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.