Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by JeffA
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
My nephew did his PhD research on the process. Now it's being used all over.

Used all over?
Where?

My ex wife was involved in the research and implementation on vitrification. All it does is lock the waste up so it can never be reused again in a breeder cycle. It takes valuable, partially used uranium and makes it unusable for re-breeding. This is a politically driven strategy, because breeding reactors create plutonium, which is a proliferation concern.

Vitrification does nothing to reduce radiation. The only benefit is that during long term storage, it'll keep it from leaching if the containment vessels are breached.

I understand how it works, appears better than and idea yet, just didn't know it was actually being put to use anywhere.

I think the idea was first developed in Germany but China has built a large facility for processing it.
Last I read China was able to run their plant 2 days last year.

Vapor created by the process appears to be the demon now.

There's a schit ton of spent rods in the cooling ponds at the Nuke Plant by my house in Crystal River, FL.

There have been two very, very small notices posted about the cooling ponds there losing water but no radiation has been detectable in nearby wells...yet.

Duke Energy is in the process of dismantling
that Nuclear Plant now, they built a new Combined Cycle plant to replace it.

When I first started investing in real estate in the area the Nuke was still operating. They mailed me a multi page booklet, there's a picture of the plant on the cover with a target around it.
The cover reads "You're within 50 miles of our plant and there are some things you need to know".

It's basically information regarding risks and questions about ones ability to evacuate rapidly.

I suppose being given the information is some form of liability release for them, didn't get one when they opened their new Gas Plant.