Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
If you want a scooter with little wheels but without the social stigma of a scooter Honda has just the thing(s), most all with the same 125cc single cylinder air cooled engine. I wouldn't mind a Monkey, they'd be a lot of fun on trails. There are videos of folks going coast to coast or doing a 1000 mile Baja ride on Monkeys. Been following a thread on a motorcycle forum I visit with one guy in New Jersey going on 40-50 mile rides on trails and back roads.

[Linked Image from powersports.honda.com]

These are usually called "postie bikes" here in Oz, because they have for many years been widely used by posties (mail delivery people). They are popular as farm bikes too. Cheap to buy (especially when Australia Post sells them off), cheap to run and simple to maintain. There are even long distance/enduro events especially for them, which seem popular. See https://www.postiebikechallenge.org/.

They aren't bad little jiggers to ride, as long as you aren't in any sort of hurry, but I don't think I'll be lining up for a 2000 mile run through the outback on one.