Originally Posted by RevMike
John:

I ran across an old article of yours last night, and it reminded of something that you've said in various articles over the years, and that is fact that you consider somewhere in the neighborhood of about 2700 fps to be the optimal velocity with C&C bullets. Do you have an opinion on what it might be for monos? Or are they so different amongst the various brands and makers that there really isn't an optimal velocity? I'm just curious.

Thanks

Mike,

My experience with monolithic bullets is pretty much what others have suggested so far. They tend to work better at faster muzzle velocities, one reason I don't generally use them unless velocity is up around 2900, and more works fine--though can't remember using any at faster than around 3550 at the muzzle.

The monos I've used have included the original Barnes X-Bullets, the blue-coated XLC, TSXs, TTSXs and more recently LRXs. Had a couple of experiences with the hollow-point versions not expanding, or not expanding much, but that seems to have been solved by plastic tips.

Have also used Nosler E-Tips quite a bit, in calibers from 6mm up to .30, and they seem to work just about like TTSXs. Haven't used as many Hornady monos--and all so far have been the GMXs they just discontinued. Have had excellent results, especially with the 70-grain GMX in a couple of 1-8 twist .22-250s Eileen and I got from Whittaker Guns in Owensboro, Kentucky. The same handload shoots excellently in both rifles, with 3-shot groups going around half an inch at 100 yards, with the muzzle velocity 3300-3400, depending on which rifle its fired from. The closest shots so far have been around 180 yards and the longest 350, all with excellent expansion and quick kills.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck