Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
Originally Posted by Lou_270
I have had 270, 7mm, 300 wsm and still have 2 270 wsm. I mainly like the wsm in lighter rifles and to me recoil got up there with a 300 wsm in something like a Kimber Montana. Not looked for factory ammo in long while for any but never had issues finding brass for 270 wsm and 300 wsm. The 300 was the 6.5 creedmoor or close to it of a few years ago and the 270 wsm is decently popular but the 7mm wsm never caught on. In any case the 300 and 270 have enough rifles about that ammo availabiltiy should not be a problem at least when makers do their seasonal runs of next tier popular stuff. They are all excellent cartridges that are accurate and easy to load for in my experience. None of them are fast twist of the day but all possess considerably more horse power than say a 6.5 prc until get way out there. Not knocking the 6.5 prc it is just good bit less powder so takes longer to catch uo even with higher bc bullets. So, I prefer the 270 wsm for my purposes in that general power range and bullets I like to use for hunting. Not sure why Riflehunter doesn’t like the 6.8 W but that is another good option. Mine is sub half moa with 165 and 175 factory ammo. Brass and ammo easily available these days and rifles so long as you are ok with Win or Browning or a custom. Others not picked it up yet but it’s just out so expect others will

Lou
Just say'n that we shouldn't support the new offerings (eg 6.8 Western) if the ammo companies don't keep supporting the old offerings (eg .270WSM).

That's what I don't get. Dang ammo manufactures and rifle manufactures wanting to bring out new schidt, and not support what they already have. That screws us in the end. They don't want to produce brass for cartridges like the 7wms and 270wsm, but bring out a new cartridge like the 6.8 western???

This is nothing more than “what came first, the chicken or the egg?”

If people were still buying that junk, they would keep producing it. Short magnums were an answer to a question that should never been asked.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]