Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Noteworthy that the US Government was under the impression they couldn't outlaw the sale of alcohol without amending the Constitution, and did so. They did so because the power to outlaw a recreational drug didn't reside the Constitution. That makes it strictly a state affair. Yet, somehow, years later, the US Government decided to outlaw pot, and the fact that said authority didn't reside in the US Constitution didn't stop them. They felt no need to amend the Constitution to permit them to outlaw it.
That’s an excellent point when put it those terms.

I’ve always believed that it should be a states rights issue but when put in the context of alcohol requiring an amendment to the constitution but other drugs especially marijuana being banned at the federal level without a constitutional amendment it really illustrates the hypocrisy of our government.

I haven’t smoked pot in 20 years and it was never really my thing but I don’t believe that it’s anymore harmful or problematic than alcohol. There’s a world of difference between hard drugs and a few tokes of pot.