Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Supporting prohibition and organized crime is patriotic?

Give me a line that is right, Jim.

We would be much better off if alcohol, tobacco, gambling, and all recreational drugs.... were non-existent.

But I can't see a way that should be considered in a free society.

On the religious track, if you believe, God could have controlled our
actions completely. But he gave us free will.

So, do we have a right to ban anything?

Or, do we simply eliminate prescriptions, throw the door open,
And let Oxycodone be sold like Tic-Tacs?

I made a big jump there, but where is the line?

Do we allow pot, but no more?
What about THC level?

If pot is ok, Hash should be. Same thing right?

I guaranfuckintee you that within 5 years...wait. I think I have already
heard of some "crazy" folks that want to legalize harder stuff.
I agree that as a society we would be better off without all of it. Same as you I don’t see a way for the Feds to be legitimately involved and people to some degree can and will do what they’ll do. Society should protect freedom above all else but I won’t go hardcore libertarian. A society can’t function in a fee for all absent any moral standards or societal norms. Our founders said as much.

I think without question marijuana is nowhere near as destructive individually or societally as hard drugs. Marijuana isn’t something that people steal, prostitute, neglect there kids (unless already so inclined) ruin their lives over or commit crimes to obtain anymore than alcohol.

I think I’m hearing you say that it’s a states rights issue and completely agree. IMO it should be handled with the drug courts and rehab for non violent addicts at the state level. Using doesn’t need to be made a crime but if a person is committing crimes to pay for the habit, getting high in public, neglecting their children, panhandling, sleeping or crapping on public streets ect offering rehab programs in leu of jail time makes sense to me. Dealers should face stronger jail or prison sentences. When states or cities allow a free for all it just creates misery for everyone.