Originally Posted by saddlesore
All I have ever used was Sierra, so can't say .180 in the .038, 220 in the.06. A lot of folks poo-poo how accurate they are or say they are not any good past 200yards. bull feces.

Over the years I've taken deer at 300 to 400 yds using a 220 grain RN... use to be my favorite bullet in an 06.
not flat shooting necessarily, but with its sectional density and wt, it was certainly wind defying...

If you knew how to compensate and get it to hit targets at that distance, there was no problem downing a deer with proper shot placement.
at 300, impact foot pounds, wasn't a big number.. but every time I've done it, it would pass right thru the deers vitals and exit out the other side.

that is why I am a big believer in sectional density... all I ever got was a bang/flop ending...

there would be a small bullet hole going in and a small one on exit... but post mortem processing, it would look like the lungs, heart and chest cavity
had been stirred with a chain saw. each time the deer went down at the shot.
]
I still prefer a RN first then an SMP second, then a ballistic tip, and a partition style 4th...haven't used a lot of Barnes, but only like two kills with them... both in 22 caliber out of a 22.250... both were bang/flop scenarios also.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez