Originally Posted by thumbcocker
What is the consensus on a 30 caliber 180 grain round nose bullet? Hornady vs sierra. Or are they both pretty good bullets? I have a load for my 308 that shoots bug holes with the 180 gr. sierra. Have yet to try the hornady version.

I am not a gunwriter. I have tried both Sierra and Hornady round nose 180 grain bullets in my .308 Winchester rifles (I have seven; I really only need one). They are both reliable.

I shot 180 grain Sierra round nose bullets for several years in my .308's hunting whitetail deer in the north central Pennsylvanian woods (this is hardly long range shooting). I switched to Hornady because they are slightly softer. They can be very accurate if the rifle likes them (I had a Ruger No. 1 in .308 for a while which despised both Sierra and Hornady, but loved the Speer 180 grain roundnose, which I believe is now discontinued). The Sierra may be a bit more accurate than the Hornady (One inch five shot groups at 100 yards vs one and a quarter inch.) The Hornady was accurate enough to take out a coyote with a dead center hit a couple of years ago. They open up well and exit with a good blood trail. I occasionally try other bullets and keep returning to them in the rifles that like them.

I laid in a good supply of the Hornadys a few years ago when they were still inexpensive and available. As the years pass, I probably now have a lifetime supply.

GrimJim