Took me a quite a few years to accept them for what they are. I always have a 30-06 or 308 winchester as a loaner rifle for guests.

In 2011-12 was when I first remember seeing one of these cheap budget wonders.

I was appalled.

My opinion back then, was to look for a cheap sporterized Mauser instead. Twice, I went that route and both had problems:

Off center scope base screws.

Another one would gouge the heck out of brass and the bolt handle wouldn't open unless you used high scope rings.

Helped some youngsters plan their first Alaskan hunt. The 30-06 ruger american sealed the deal. It was filthy after the long haul, but worked well in Alaskan conditions. I began to take them a little more seriously and gave the American a closer look:

Nowadays, the loaner gun is a Ruger American 308 winchester I picked up for $100 with 2-7 redfield revolution scope. The dmn thing out-shoots any rifle I've ever owned and has been flawless, with no malfunctions.

Came with weaver bases, Good trigger, lightweight, strong extraction, superb barrel, slim profile, fast 1:10 rifling twist, excellent twin v-block bedding system, excellent recoil pad.