Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Ringman
Shaman, you are missing out on bragging rights.

He is bragging in a way. He's using throw away $100 scopes, is content and getting it done. For his style and needs, it is working. Others here have different needs. Not really about bragging rights though, the same can be said for the rest of us. If what we are using for our needs is working great, why change? I was at the range yesterday and had my typical targets stapled up and an old feller came along with a tactical looking 308 Remington 700. He asked why my "aiming point was so big". He was using a Swarovski. He said, "it just looks like a big orange blob". I said you better get a better scope then. I'm aiming at the 1/4" diamond inside the orange blob. Using one of my Nightforce rifle scopes of course.. Poor guy would have needed brail to see a target at 400...

Now that's an interesting take. I suppose in some perverse way, you're right. I got into hunting and shooting at a time when I was just a young buck COBOL programmer and really couldn't afford much, so I got used to deer hunting on the cheap. I never bought a new deer rifle until 2014-- after 40 years. I was always content to raid the bargain rack, or take some rusted up POS and try and make a tack driver out of it. That was how my fascination with cheap scopes developed. I learned early on that Tasco was a step below allowable limits and set my limits slightly above theirs.

But my question in this case was and is honest. I'd really like to know what I'm missing with a $100 scope.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer