My optical demands are shifting as I age out (70 in a couple months), as are my hunting protocols. Anymore I don't make a concerted effort to get into my "spot" half an hour to an hour before sunup. If that costs me a deer, then so be it - I don't care. Ditto with stumbling out of the woods after dark. The set-and-forget Leupolds I have on my dwindling battery of dedicated deer rifles suit me just fine in the forests that I hunt. I suspect there are quite a few other brands in that mid-price range that would work as well or better. Again, I don't care.

My optical demands are quite different in another respect: paper punching with vintage target rifles, usually 100+ year old single shots. 10-20x Unertls and the like serve me well for that. In that game I am most particular. (And yeah, BSA, a 20x Unertl or Lyman Targetspot allows me to quarter that tiny black diamond quite nicely.)

What bothers me most of all though is difficulty in using aperture sights. Coupled with an excellent binocular (Leica Duovid in my case) I've never felt undergunned with a rifle equipped with a receiver or a tang sight. (So many classic rifles suffer from having their ergonomics disrupted by attaching a big hunk of glass on top of them.) That changed in the recent past with the onset of a cataract in my "shooting eye" and put me squarely in the "scope it if you want to shoot it" camp. That shall change starting tomorrow when I submit myself to the ministrations of a very competent surgeon, after enduring six months of scheduling snafu's. The goal is to get back in the peep sight game, and the rifle du jour for this year's hunting shall be a very accurate original 1929-vintage M1903 Springfield NRA Sporter - with a Lyman 48 receiver sight and nary a scope.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty