Originally Posted by okie john
Originally Posted by Whitetails45
I’m looking to get another handgun to hunt whitetail I been hunting with a tc but would like something that has follow up shots if needed.
I am looking for suggestions due to being a novice handgun hunter.
I was looking at a sw frame in 460 due to being able to shoot 454 and 45long colt in a 5 inch barrel.
Should I look at a longer barrel?
Open to suggestions on different guns and calibers

You’re overthinking it.

If you’re not killing deer with a TC, then you probably won’t kill them with anything else. But this is the fire, and we never tell anyone to not buy a gun, so here’s your answer:

1. Get a 357, 41, 44 Special, 45 Colt, or 44 Magnum revolver with a barrel that’s four to eight inches long. I like Rugers and Smiths but others will work.

2. Load a relatively heavy bullet (160 in the 357, 210 in the 41, and 250 in the 44s and 45) at about 1,100 fps.

3. Study how deer live and learn how to get close to them.

4. Work on your shooting. The ability to hit a pie plate with every shot at 50 yards will put a lot more meat on the table than buying a revolver that takes several different cartridges.

But that brings us back to the issue of skill. Why not figure out how to cut down your reloading time with the TC?

Okie John

John, there is absolutely nothing arguable with your statement except……maybe he merely wants a 450 S&W! 😉 memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024