Originally Posted by dmurf205
It sure is
Originally Posted by UpThePole
Agree 100% except a 329 is much more "carry friendly".

It sure is but the more I shot one the worse I got with it. The recoil is brutal with that light of a 44...for me anyway. Fortunately, self defense doesn't usually require a box of ammo.
Like Henryseale said, the L frame 69 might be the best compromise of all, just 5 shots
Yeah, it is a five shooter. Granted, if I'm anticipating on going into combat, my 16 shot 9mm or my 11 shot .45ACP might be a better choice. However, for woods critter defense I cannot imagine that many shots of serious power .44 will be needed. I have never had the need to fend off a bear or elk, etc. at close range, but I strongly suspect that if the situation should arise I should be able to handle it with 1 or 2 shots from the .44, 3 at the most. If the problem still persists after that, I doubt seriously that I would be able to get off any more shots. That still gives me twice or maybe more of the number of usable shots available in the gun without reloading. Like I mentioned, I have never "been there and done that", but that is my thought on the subject. For those that have survived close defense combat with a bear or moose or such with a large caliber handgun, how many shots did it take?

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."