Originally Posted by T_O_M
Originally Posted by Waders
So, what makes a red dot sight so unacceptable to you? (I anticipate some spirited discussion, but if we can maintain civility, it may prove more useful.)

There are a number of things.

First, I use the top of the gun itself, not just the sights, as a coarse aiming "thingy" for close shots. Anything that changes the shape of the top of the gun makes it less usable. In this instance, its the same factor that makes a Glock a non-starter for me. The square, flat top simply does not lend itself to that shooting technique the way a rounded top does. ... and neither do dot sights.

Second, I do not like stuff on top of my handgun. Iron sights and nothing else. It is, to my eye, clutter.

Third, complexity / reliability. My iron sights are always on. I don't have to flip switches or squeeze dingly things to activate them. Batteries don't wear out, etc. I don't have to periodically stop and check iron sights to make sure they haven't quit on me.

I could probably think of more but that's enough to seal the deal for me and then some.

Tom

Excellent answer. But, for a lot of people, that ain't good enough! It seems they simply cannot stand the fact that you don't like what they like. You don't do it the way they do it. Their way is superior! Don't you see???? You MUST do it like I do it, or else you're an idiot!....

And just tell them you don't like Glocks.... ho, man, the knives will come out!