Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Originally Posted by tjm10025
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
People will get killed when the batteries suddenly die!

DJ Shipley has a video somewhere on YouTube where he's training somebody to shoot with masking tape over the red dot optic. It's not just simulating a dead battery, it's simulating not being able to even see the front sight through the glass.

He aims with the back plate and correct positioning of the pistol.

Interesting to watch.

Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Just shot 15 rounds with a completely occluded optic. Completely cold, I haven't fired a pistol in several weeks. This would be worst case scenario with a dot...The window fills up with mud, the lens spiderwebs and you can't see through it, etc.

1 shot from the holster x 5 rounds at 3-5-7 yards. 1.6ish per shot. I had one miss at each yard line.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I replaced the Trijicon RMR dual illuminated on my G17 Gen 5 MOS with a Leupold Delta Point Pro. The back up iron sites that cowitnessed thru the RMR aren't tall enough with the DPP. The sight are exactly as high as the base on ther DPP. So they won't cowitness thru the window on the DPP like they would the RMR.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

When I shoot the pistol using the red dot on the DPP, the dot on the front sight is visible in the lower 1/4 of the window. That dot, and the two dots on the rear sight form and inverted V, a /\. I've gotten to where if I turn the red dot off, I can still shoot accurately because I know where the red dot would have been in relation to the dot on the front sight that I can see thru the lens. I just form that /\ with the sights, make sure the front sight is in the lower 1/4 of the window, and put the target in the center of the window. Been doing it for sometime now and it works very well. Sounds complicated, but its really easy to master. I'm pretty happy about that. I didn't want to replace the sights with extra tall sights just so they would cowitness. I don't think it would work with lower sights, because the front sight would not be visibile in the window at all taking away that reference point I use with these sights and the red dot off.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 09/09/22.