A friend has asked me to work over this rifle he's had for a long time. I have worked with a number of FN 98's but have not run into one just like this and hope the experts here can help narrow down its provenance.
So this is a custom rifle apparently made by the "Lazy J Gun Shop" which may or may not have been in Las Vegas NM (zip code 88701)
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Funny thing is the Lazy J wasn't proud enough of their work to show this, because it is hidden at the six o'clock position at the bottom of the barrel channel. Weird. They only marked the chambering ("30..06") above the wood line on the barrel.
Speaking of which, so is every factory marking on the action. The only thing that appears above the wood line is a 4-digit serial number on the left side of the receiver ring. All the Belgian proofs are under the wood line on the left of the action, and the "FN" and Made in Belgium" are under the wood line on the right side.
It has a very nice hinged floorplate with a release latch hinged in the front of the trigger guard bow, but it is pushed from outside the bow, not the inside like early Mark-X.
The root of the bolt handle has the typical FN commercial cartouche but I did not take a pic of it.
The trigger has no markings on it that I have found yet but is a type I've not encountered before. Slide saftey on the right and typical "streamlined" bolt shroud that goes with the side safety. Anybody recognize this?
Thanks for any help you can give. If I was a betting man I'd guess this might be an FN 98 version that was sold directly to builders as an action-only, but maybe y'all can confirm or add data.
Thanks,
Rex