The earliest post WWII FN "sporters" were the exact military action type as under occupation. Thumb notch sidewall, stripper clip config and K98k bolt handles. All just well fitted 'as possible' and well finished. I have one such in SN 54K as I recall. The next series, seldom seen, were a "transition model" Full left receiver walls and 'remnants of the humped bridge stripper clip accoutrement. The bolt handle was the decades later pattern 'low swept' scope style also with the later FN scope accommodating mount. The SN range of the several I have all in the 60K+ range. They didn't make many and all were destined for Husqvarna generic Model 640 series applications. All had the generic "American style stock. What we consider the "modern FN sporting action intro'd in latter forties. I 'believe' that the US was the 'gorilla in the gun market place and the rifles were principally configured with American Style Stocks referenced in the Transitional model above. All these FN actions were basically the same, they varied most obviously in the matter of some D&T and that prevalence moving to about all the America destined imports from 50-51 era. The quality of those FN actions was high and the prices of their rifles 'higher'. My guestimate that with prices 30%-50% higher than the Model 70 Winchester, there wasn't a huge market. Another factor, that the FN genre never got together with Stoger, the firm of the inch thick plus catalogs and a number of exocit rifles over the years. I believe 'if' they had, they would likely have sold better.
So from those early fifties era they were in the US market. The French Walnut stocks were expensive wood. That said, the stocks were 'overdone American' as prevalent style but bit oversized such as forarms and 'bit clunky'. Perhaps just my perspective. They were also offered with the Armstrong receiver "dual range" sight. If the Lyman 48, a great combo, the Armstrong I believe never catching on.

A great irony, somehow both FN And Husqvarna rifles, same action, as not really competing. The 'Husky' breed not as finely finished as the somehow secret, FN throughout but just not the aura. By about '54 or so, FN backing off to some extent. They'd been turning out small orders of their action in yet the older military trim for small contracts. The largest one perhaps their own nation of Belgium in early fifties. Those quality military products with the humor of "black paint" finish, some gray, as a 'say what'. Found nowadays if original lwith such finish "a-pealing", Pun intended. For the substantial FN arms factory moving largely to 'go with the money' in mainstream semi/full auto military products. I know little about these, but the money was there. FN yet movign to provide sporting actions, of course defined by solid sidewall and low scope bolt/safety lever. Firearms International a prevalent marketer for sporting builds. Such names as Paul Jaeger and Hunters Lodge - names to recollection making high quality sporters from these new commercial actions. But too a lot of things happening in Europe. Labor costs increasing dramatically and the fledgling European Iron & Coal Union, seeds of the European Union, changing FN economics.
The FN sporting mauser actions actually hanging on into the Sixties. In latter fifties, a significant action change under herald of "new & improved. The traditional action termed the Model 300 and the N&I model the 400 "Supreme" - also other like terms used by wholesalers, etc. The fundamental difference as the striker mechanism altered to a sleek less multi-function unit. The striker impinging safety of classic mauser 98 design, yielding to a sliding tang proximate lever as "trigger impinging". The striker iteraton a more positive and simple unit. The combo of trigger affecting as adjustable trigger, moving to compete with other American aftermarket units. So for some period the 300 and 400 actions both available. By perhaps early sixties the 300 largely gone and what remained as 'in pipeline' of residual wholesaler stocks, etc. Oh yes, the 400 series as with a small variety of hinged floorplates - at last. FN not settling on one style as another change yet to come to the 400 series. Alloy bottom metal! To me one of the scourages of many a fine rifle. Aesthetic problems and some few "material strength" issues though the latter not common.

The FN 400 action chugged along as showing up in a large variety of rifles with its alloy bilge! The action itself did remain 'quality' and somehow FN had found a sweet spot in marketing it alone. One big advantage as French Walnut was getting quite pricey! American production line practices 'perhaps' less employed by FN, provided opportunity to concentrate on their improved 400 mauser actions as witout the distractions of barreling up and as noted 'stocking'. There was some sort of harmony continuing throught even the seventies, though I believe from the late sixties, probably far more 'in stock'. I doubt FN was manufacturing any even substantially into the seventies. I'm couching my words here, as trying to rcall off the top of my head. Probably such as the Firearms International marketed "Musketeer" rifle at a quite decent price point in early sixties, reflective of the sweet spot balance between FN 400 actions and a system that worked for profitably marketing its American rifle incorporated action.

All good things... I 'personally' believe the seventies era in America was something of a hiatus. A pause as old line rifle makers either regrouped or fell away to 'memories'. Viet Nam war over and America regrouping. There was also not exactly a 'new upstart' by any means, but Zastava in Serbia moving from diminishing military 98 contracts as new and refurbishing of such rifles, moved to sporting 98 actions. In a super victory of low labor costs and a fully established and functonal mauser rifle factory, it nudged and FN, yielded the floor. The rest is history.

The net, net, FN did make some great commercial mausers. Husqvarna took those 300 series genre actons and quietly provided a bargain basement quality product. Not a member of the EU or even today. But the Husqvarna FN base, like a Bently auto without the two hundred coats of hand rubbed whatever finish!

I've left stuff out because this is already a gargantuan work and wondering if I'll be banned! smile Maybe just quietly deleting my Post. Hope deconfuses more than further confusing!
UNEDITED!
Best!
JOhn