Originally Posted by shootem
Is the 2 pin block compatible with a gen 2 frame or would that upgrade require going to a gen 3 complete lower with the gen 2 barrel & slide assembly?

Also we have another G22 Gen 2 that is giving ejection problems. This pistol has been shot little, mostly because of being prone to malfunction but also because it’s just not been needed. But it apparently needs to go back to Smyrna. Since day 1 it has failed to extract on probably 40 to 50% of rounds fired. And I’m talking 4 different brands of factory loads in 180, 170, and 155 gr jacketed. Also with 165 and 150 gr handloads. It appears the extractor is jumping the rim because the round picked up from the magazine is found nose to primer with the fired case. The extractor itself appears good and spring tension on it is strong. Baffles me. And the worst rounds of all are Nosler 150 with 7.8 and 8.0 gr PP. Mostly 7.8 because the smileys go away there. Pistol jams on probably 80% of those. Could the block issue possibly cause early contact knocking the case from the extractor?

Shootem

I missed your post, and just now saw this.

The Gen 2 guns were single pin locking blocks. Some of the early Gen 3s were as well until the issues were discovered by myself and another armorer who if I recall right was working for the Illinois state Police. I was not actually aware of his work and he was not aware of mine at the time as I was dealing directly with my regional Glock rep.

Glock had 2 major reps at the time. One for the western U.S., and one for the eastern half. I was dealing with the western rep. Super nice guy btw. They had to have known there was an issue maybe shortly beforehand, as the redesign happened fairly quick and the re-issue for all of our .40 caliber guns for my agency went fairly smoothly. I don't have any proof, only my personal thoughts, but I think they really wanted to keep the lid on the issue as there were a lot of 1 pin locking block .40s in circulation with LE agencies, and they did not want a major agency like mine putting out any bulletins. This is pure speculation on my part. The fact is that they were very quick to redesign the guns with a new 2 pin locking block and not charge us for the new guns. It was kept quiet. Simply considered good customer service as far as they were concerned, and they were extremely tight lipped. Not a single word was ever mentioned that there was ever a problem. Then guns were simply replaced with brand new ones. From a corporate standpoint, I understand that they were protecting themselves. The head of my agency was happy. I discovered the problem and resolved the problem and did not cost the agency or the taxpayers anything so the pressure was off me (which was not insignificant).

It should be noted that the issue was with .40s, not 9mms. A 1 pin locking block 9mm Glock such as the old Gen 1 and Gen 2 9mms will run and run and run, with zero issue. But when they redesigned the frame, it made sense to simply standardize on 2 pin blocks.

To answer your question, no a 2 pin locking block is not compatible with a Gen 2 Glock. It cannot be retrofitted. You may be able to buy a barrel with tighter tolerances but there is nothing you can do about the locking block situation, and I would NEVER advise to run hot loads out of a Gen 2 .40 Glock.

As far as the ejector goes, that requires the whole factory trigger housing to be replaced as the ejector is part of the unit. You can look online and see what the latest specs or recommendations are for a G22 and a Gen 2 gun.

Personally I would trade it in on one of the Gen 5s that are now available. Nothing but good things have been said about them.

Hope this helps.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com