You're on the right track buddy.

Sadly, 16 ga ammo has not been produced in the same numbers as 12 and 20 or even 410, at least not in my lifetime.

It seems to be produced in limited runs leading up to small game seasons in the fall and that's about it. So, what you're seeing available, is mostly going to be what's available for 16 ga in 2022. That's just how the market is.

But, it's good to see federal and others making it again. I'll give them that. I shot a wheelbarrow full of those old purple shells in the 80's and early 90's when I was hunting so much with it. I wish I knew then what I do now. I would've never left them laying. But, that's how it is when you're young and dumb and could walk into the store and buy a box. You never gave it a second thought.

I think the reason you're seeing as much as you are currently has some to do with several 16 ga guns being made and sold by browning and stevens and even imported under the tristar name with a semiauto and a double. So, it's nice to see a push being made to keep it from becoming extinct. As I mentioned earlier, take advantage of that while you can, and as you can. Even if it's just a box or two every payday. That's how I got most of mine. Since so few people in my county shoot it, I end up with most of what's put out on shelves until it's gone again.