Long, long ago, in another life, I had a thing going with a Yup'ik Eskimo Shaman gal that lived in a tiny Bering Sea coast village in S.W. Alaska.
She was an educated type, held politcal office, very respected.
She was also the executive director of the Bristol Bay Native Association's Qayassiq Walrus Commission. That position put her in charge of Walrus Management on Alaskas Round Island which is a tiny little island off the South West Alaska coast.

[Linked Image from adfg.alaska.gov]

It's a pretty cool gig, she and her crew are on-site every summer over seeing the goings-on with the Walrus haulout there.

[Linked Image from blog.explore.org][Linked Image from leerentz.files.wordpress.com]

So anyway, the time had come for me to end our relationship and move on.
I was never good at that kinda stuff am I'm still not.
All I knew was I didn't wanna pizz off a Yup'ik Shaman type that was politically connected and carried clout and then hang around, she had all of that going on..

I decided I'd just go, I got everything I needed stuffed in a duffle bag and stashed it in my truck without her taking notice.
First thing the next morning I grabbed the garbage and told her I was going to the dump. I drove straight into town, jumped on a plane and made my escape.

That was the end of that...

A year and a half later, a million miles away, I was camping along the Everglades coast in Southern Florida.
We were on a 125 mile paddle journey somewhere between Everglades City and DeFlaveville.

[Linked Image from nps.gov]

We had to camp at Chickee's because there was no dry land.

[Linked Image from mapio.net]

This particular Chickee was built for two, it was in Sunday Bay.
We had only reserved half of it, we got our camp setup and started dinner when another group of kayaks came into view and they were headed our way.
The closer they got I could see it was all women, cute college aged women, good score if ya gotta have neighbors on a remote Chickee they might as well be attractive.

As they neared, I could tell straight away, these were Alaskan girls.
The had Alaskan gear, they looked Alaskan and one of them was wearing XtraTuffs.
There was something eerily familiar about them but I couldn't quite put my finger on what it was.

They busyed themselves setting up their camp as my friend and I watched, the longer I watched the more familiar they seemed but I was at a loss for remembering where I'd seen them before.

After they concluded their chores introductions commenced, I immediately stated, 'you girls are from Alaska aren't you?' and of course they replied that were.
But they lived on the Kenai Peninsula, which wasn't my turff.

I told them I was from the Bristol Bay region an to that they said 'we work in Bristol Bay'.

By this point I knew damn well I'd seen these girls around so I asked, 'exactly what do you do in Bristol Bay?'.

To that they stated 'we work for the Bristol Bay Native Association's Qayassiq Walrus Commission'.

That's where I'd seen them, they worked for my Shaman women on Round Island, It was her crew, I'd seen them bouncing around there on one of my visits.

My Shaman woman had surely sent them looking for my azz,
there had been Ravens following us for days.

All in all it was a pretty good encounter, I got to send message to my Ex wishing her well. Idunno if that really took the heat off me for dumping her the way I did, big storm swept through and took that Chickee out, without a doubt she had something to do with that. Park Service never rebuilt them, to this day there's no Chickees in Sunday Bay...

A Shaman women will find you no matter how far you go or how well you hide.