Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Originally Posted by rainshot
It was the same shenanigans for the Soap Box Downhill race. The kids were supposed to build their car but it ended up being a contest for professional mechanics. The Dyess AFB troupe race car had an aluminum frame. Many of the care were professionally painted. They were works of art. It wasn’t for the kids. It was for the parents.
Reminds me of my short stint in Cub Scouts in the late 70's. My Dad and I entered the Pinewood Derby for the first time. Cars were supposed to be made bybthe scouts, with help from their parents. We naively entered boxy, untuned and unweighted cars painted with leftover house paint. The competition was all made by fathers in their shops or the shops at their work. Pretty impressive looking and fast cars that my self made chunk of wood didn't stand a chance against.

It left me pretty jaded about sportsmanship as a 9 year old.

Bruin…..Your experience with the Pinewood Derby virtually mirrors mine. After grandpa and I built the car and painted the block of wood I was pretty pleased with the outcome….until I saw the fancy entries from others. There car looked NOTHING like mine. Some of the entries looked like they came directly out of the Hasbro or Mattel factory NOT the work of an 8 year old kid. It was obvious to me that the winners were cars that were built by dad’s at their shop and not their children. I didn’t think it was fair but that was never a complaint that flew….fair was not a reasonable expectation of others. I remember being disappointed in the adults that ignored the obvious and rewarded poor behavior. I don’t recall ever entering another Pinewood Derby again…
Yeah I remember my dad added some lead in mine.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter