Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by funshooter
Originally Posted by rainshot
It was the same shenanigans for the Soap Box Downhill race. The kids were supposed to build their car but it ended up being a contest for professional mechanics. The Dyess AFB troupe race car had an aluminum frame. Many of the care were professionally painted. They were works of art. It wasn’t for the kids. It was for the parents.

Mountain Man camps with Black Powder shooting Competitions here in Southern Commyfornia we had the same Couple win 1st and 2nd prize for years.
They would pick the people that they would shoot with and pay them off. Each group kept score for each other

Some of those Competitions would have $2000 to $3000 rifles and an lot of donated prizes from members of the clubs

It got so bad with these 2 that no one would buy into the Competition when these 2 would show up.
The prize money dwindled to almost nothing.

Jesus Christ.

LOL

What a buncha clowns.

I was a Member of the Big Horn Mountain men Club
I built a 10Ga. Blunderbuss from Scratch. I purchased an L&R Lock (flintlock not cap gun) the Trigger and the Stock Blank and I made all the rest of the parts. Barrel ,Side Plate Butt Plate , Thimbles , Ram Rod & Tang.

When I got it all finished I tried to join in on a Stake Shoot with our Club the shoot was a cash buy in shoot and the 1st place split the proceeds 50 50 with the Club.
No one wanted me in their group because they said that I could not hit the wall of a Barn if I was standing inside of it.
The Groups were 5 guys shooting at a about a 5 inch diameter wooden pole standing up and the 1st group to cut it and have the top hit the ground won.
Well I Begged and Begged to try and join a group.
I finally convinced a guy Wayne to let me join his group.
He only had 1 other guy in his group so he was already 3 guys short and still did not want me in his group.
He was shooting a 58 cal. Zwave (I know I did not spell it right) the other guy had a 75 cal Brown Bess.

Well they said Ready Fire.
With my built in funnel in the Barrel I was the first guy loaded and shot fired.
I aimed at a knot in the pole and that pole shook so bad that Wayne Dropped his Rifle and I got a second shot off before Wayne composed himself and got his 1st shot off. The guy with the Brown Bess never hit the Pole at all.
My second shot I put (2) .760 patched balls into the .788 bore of my popgun and with Moccasins on pine needles and me only weighing in at a Buck 20 I was sliding back a full step from the firing line.
I got about 6 shots off that first day and Wayne got about 3 and it was over.

The Next Day Wayne ran up to me and said you are shooting today right. I said Hell Ya.
The Guy with the Brown Bess Never showed up so it was Wayne and my self against groups of 5.
I think if I remember that 2nd day I got 3 shots off Wayne got 2 and it was over.

This went on all week and Wayne and I won every day except 1 day we got a bad piece of wood that had a thousand splinters.

I walked away with a Couple hundred bucks in my pocket and so did Wayne.

We had the most public ever to show up at our Camp in the history of that camp that paid to get in.
They said that they were there to watch the idiot shoot the hand cannon.
I brought in a lot of revenue for the Club that Year just having some fun.

In our next Club meeting they had found out that I was double slugging my Blunderbuss and band me from shooting in any more Competitions It told them that I was going to have to Build another one that I could only put 1 slug in maybe a 4 Gage and they squawked and hollered and banded me from ever bringing my Blunderbuss into camp ever again.
I got up and walked out of that F'ing Big Horn Mountain Man Club
6 other members got up and walked out with me.

I didn't tell ya that Wayne was putting (6) 58 cal. balls in the 1 1/4 Octagon barrel of his he told me that he was gunna have to pin them together for the next Stake Shoot.

Was I cheating the shoot was bring what you have and no other rules. Other shooters were putting more than one ball down their barrels not just us.

Everyone told me that I could not hit anything and they would not let be join their group because of what I was shooting then they got Pissed when I won.

The Club said that shooting (2) balls out of a Rifle was unsafe and I as well as Every Gun Builder in the Club stated that a (2) ball Charge was only a Half proof test for a Barrel and my Blunderbuss is a Smooth Bore that does not build up the pressures like a Riffled Barrel does.