Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by Fury01
He had a 6.5 Creedmoor, sort of, and used it to kill most of his "meat" game. It was a .256 caliber which is the bore, not the groove, if I remember right firing 156 grain RN softs and solids, and he had both a short and long rifle. He found those solids to bend on Elephant skulls too often but he did shoot a few with it. He also killed Giraffe at 500 yards with it seeing with his internal "eye" the trajectory of the bullet over the screen of bush down into the vitals.
Been a few years since I read the book but think my memory serves. WDM Bell was one of those people who have the true Gift of shooting. I have met precisely one of those in my lifetime. He is now passed on. There are many good and even great shooters but few who have the Gift of shooting.

Very interesting thread F01, that said, i'd shoot ANY animal in Africa, Ele, hippo, rhino, buff included if my PH would let me with those very old steel jacketed 220gr Hornady solids you gave me, a very easy low recoiling 2500 fps from my pre-64 300 H&H would handily do it all, everyone knows any animal, including us, leads with their head, a piece of cake with good accurate load, rifle and shooter. cool

Gee, Gunner, who was the SUPER NICE GUY that sold you that 300 H&H I'm wondering! smile

PS: I now have TWO! my pre-war 70 and a gorgeous Browning Safari I found and imported from Canada.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”