I have two 338RCM M77 rifles. One is the 20" RCM rifle now in a McMillian classic stock. I also built a 22" version with Rock Creek #3, also in a McMillian classic. While carrying the 20" is really nice, I find the extra weight out from of the 22" makes for a steadier hold.

I have shot one moose with the short one and three with the longer one ( the last just two weeks in Newfoundland) and have to say its about my idea of a perfect moose cartridge. I hunt the east so we don't have mean bears, so I haven't felt the need to shoot heavies. Instead I have used 185TTSX, 210NP and 210TTSX. I did catch one of the 185s so have settled on the 210's although at 338RCM velocities a lot of bullets would undoubtedly do fine.

I am mostly a carry hot kind of guy, but my NF guide had me carry cold and It was the first time that three down felt a little light. Maybe the fact that the other guy in camp used a magazine full of ammo to put his moose down helped with that perception. In the end it only took one shot for my moose.

In any case I am happy Mainer mentioned turning the follower around to get 4 down in the Ruger I am going to test that out as soon as I make a few dummy rounds. I also have a M77 in 300WSM that might also benefit from the follower trick.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge