Originally Posted by noKnees
I have two 338RCM M77 rifles. One is the 20" RCM rifle now in a McMillian classic stock. I also built a 22" version with Rock Creek #3, also in a McMillian classic. While carrying the 20" is really nice, I find the extra weight out from of the 22" makes for a steadier hold.

I have shot one moose with the short one and three with the longer one ( the last just two weeks in Newfoundland) and have to say its about my idea of a perfect moose cartridge. I hunt the east so we don't have mean bears, so I haven't felt the need to shoot heavies. Instead I have used 185TTSX, 210NP and 210TTSX. I did catch one of the 185s so have settled on the 210's although at 338RCM velocities a lot of bullets would undoubtedly do fine.

I am mostly a carry hot kind of guy, but my NF guide had me carry cold and It was the first time that three down felt a little light. Maybe the fact that the other guy in camp used a magazine full of ammo to put his moose down helped with that perception. In the end it only took one shot for my moose.

In any case I am happy Mainer mentioned turning the follower around to get 4 down in the Ruger I am going to test that out as soon as I make a few dummy rounds. I also have a M77 in 300WSM that might also benefit from the follower trick.
On the Hawkeye, you can put a bend in the floor-plate and then silver-solder some metal in to fill up the gap so that it holds 4 in the mag. That is what I did (gunsmith did the soldering) - I want 4 in the mag because sometimes you do need it. With a Remington 700 short action, you can buy a canoe floor-plate so it will hold 4 .338 RCM's in the mag. But try as I may, I can't get 4 .270 WSM's in the mag with this set up and have them feed reliably...because of the stupid rebated rim.