John,

That was true as well. But have never found crimping bullets necessary with a lightweight .338 Winchester Magnum, so dunno why it would matter on a round with less velocity and hence recoil.

Also have never found a noticeable difference in "killing power" between .338s and .30-calibers of the same case capacity, despite the difference in bullet diameter. This puzzled me until a few years ago, when I measured the expanded diameter of the various .308 and .338 bullets recovered over the decades from various animals. It turned out there wasn't any real difference, and the diameter of the "mushroom" is what makes a hole in vital tissue. (Wrote this up in an article titled "Theories of Killing Power," which also eventually appeared as a chapter in The Big Book of Gun Gack II.)

This doesn't mean the .338s don't have an advantage in penetration over .30s with heavier, longer bullets--but haven't seen any significant difference in how quickly various rounds put animals down with typical chest shots until the caliber is .35 or larger--which in my collection do have a consistently wider mushroom.

Might also mention that my experience with the .338 Winchester in various places from Alaska to Africa showed quicker kills with lighter bullets of 200-210 grains than heavier bullets. Which might--or might not--indicate that impact velocity has more effect than bullet weight.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck