John, so your only fkn moose in Alaska, you popped it in the lungs with a .338 win mag. It stayed upright , ran and died in the fkn River. Then you have the audacity to blame the situation on the guide.

You really aren't the proper judge, of whats possible with a 338 caliber on Alaskan game.

The .338's really are the most versatile cartridges for Alaska. A nice heavy .338 penetrates just as well through the front end of a large bull, as any other medium bore. Really no difference. My .338 275 grain swift a-frame handloads, are right there with my 300 grain 9.3x62 handloads.

Where I see the biggest difference on really large bull moose, is at 41 cal. Fk, even Craig Boddington agreed with me in what he's seen on cape Buffalo, in an email exchange.

Though you've sht on Elmer Keith repeatedly, his experiences are very similar to what guys see today using .338's up here.

One fella from Homer, Alaska, even had exits, breaking out the front ends of large bulls, using the old 300 grain .338' woodlieghs in his .338-06. The bulls were anchored just as quickly, as any bull moose I've shot with a 9.3x62.

If a guy needed advice on how to get a deferment from the Vietnam draft, you'd probably have the right advice though......

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 02/06/24.