I've got a pair of Howa Minis in 223...and I picked up the Grendel in the Ruger Predator Action, 22 inch barrel...

I like the heavier barrel weight on the Predator. Didn't like the metal Magazine on the Predator and was looking around for a polymer magazine for the 6.5 Grendel....asked Ruger and a host of other sources and was told that they didn't make one. Was over at the range and a Retired Marine buddy was there, who shoots competition strictly with Garands, M 14s and M 16s. He was in town for the weekend for a match, as he lives 110 miles or so over on the Oregon coast. I asked him about if he shot the Grendel, he said no, but tossed me a 223 polymer mag in 5 round capacity, and said "here, try this and see if that fits". Dropped in as sweet as could be, and held the 6.5 Grendel rounds with no problem... Fired 5 rounds thru it and each round fed a lot better than the Ruger Factory mag.

So I went over to Sportsman's Whorehouse and bought me five ten round polymer mags, for $8.00 a piece with my military discount. From Ruger a 10 round mag would cost me $50 each, and it would be another metal one.

So right there are the reasons, I'd pick the Ruger American, over the Howa Mini....for the Grendel and the 6 ARC.

With a sample of one, the Predator in the Grendel, is more accurate with everything I feed it, than my Howa Minis are in 223. Actually originally I bought 3 Howa Minis from Whitakers, which came with consecutive serial numbers, when they were available for like $300 each from Darryl. I wanted two for myself, and the third was a gift for another Retired Marine Buddy who is disabled, and exists on a limited income, who is in his early 40s. That is his main rifle for Oregon Deer Hunting...although I am sure he'd like the Grendel as an upgrade...But an 80 ELD or a 75 BTHP from Hornady does just fine taking down Oregon Blacktail for James each year with that Howa Mini...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez