Originally Posted by BC30cal
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Well, a 30-30 ain’t no 303 Savage, but it’ll do til you get a real rifle.

gregintenn;
Good evening to you sir, I trust the week behaved for you and you're well.

Your statement triggered a couple memories for me so hopefully it's okay if I share them.

My late father in law said he shot a hole in the farm house roof with a .303 Savage which his father had brought with him from Minnesota when he'd moved up to Manitoba. Seymour related to me he saw it behind the entrance door, racked the lever, pulled the trigger and then it was really loud after that. Both the boom and his mother giving his father what for because he'd left it loaded where the boys could get at it maybe?

In a Gun Digest back in the day, Sam Fadala had an article on the .30-30 and if memory serves opined that likely the availability of 190gr bullets made some folks believe - possibly with reason - that the .303 Savage was better for say moose sized animals. He found some factory .303 Savage 190's for the article, pulled the bullets and loaded them in the .30-30 he had.

For the life of me I can't recall any firm conclusions, but perhaps there were some? Not sure, sorry.

Thanks for twigging the memories, all the best and good hunting.

Dwayne

PS Afterthought.

We've entirely consumed 2 bucks, one local mulie and a Columbia Blacktail that were shot with a .30-30. I'd think that indicated they were dead then, no?

LOL! I bet mama was pretty hot about the hole in the roof!

I was just trying to make a joke about the 303 Savage. They are basically the same as the 30-30. So much so that I use reloading data interchangeably between the two for most applications. Arthur Savage was quite the salesman, however, and touted the 303 vastly superior by way of offering it with a heavier, 190 grain projectile. Although it worked to some degree, his 1895 and 1899 Savage rifles never gained the following of the ever popular 94 Winchester.

Mr. Savage’s advertisements touting folks killing dangerous game such as lions and tigers with his 22 High Power were really over the top. He was an interesting man, although we really don’t know all that much about him.

Last edited by gregintenn; 10/22/22.