Interesting how each of us fumble our way through raising these kids. About the time my boy turned 6 or so, I looked around for some clues from my friends who were raising kids too. Everybody had a different plan. I looked at how my boy was doing, compared his resume on child rearing with my resume...son of a bitch, neither one of us had any prior experience. So I thought ok, let's just go hands off and see what happens, if it starts going to schidt, I'll get involved. The years went by, he never wrecked any pickups, never knocked anybody up, never tangled with the law, made some expensive mistakes in the logging business, but he owned all his equipment and he got out of it on his schedule, sold the iron and got a house, property and family and got a darn good job in forestland management.
The daughter was a cliffhanger though, never got in a jam, but the old folks never knew when or where she would call from. Where you at Kelli?
Oklahoma. Doing what? Herdin' cows. Where you at Kelli? Nevada. Doin' what? Herdin' cows. Where you at? Los Angeles. Doin' what? Ridin' out rich peoples horses. Idaho. Doin' what? Herdin' cows. We lost a lot of sleep over that girl, but that is her husband's problem now.
Neither one pays a lot of attention to politics, but they are firmly rooted in knowing where food, shelter and water come from...work.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.