Originally Posted by CashisKing
ALL... quite literally ALL .22 cans work the same...

The math is that easy...

Don't over think it...

I whole heartedly Disagree; Based on experience with only a few cans (centerfire & rimfire).

Unless of course you're talking rimfire rifles only, then you are partly correct. Out of a .22 LR rifle most any can is good. A .22LR pistol will separate the so so cans from the really good cans.

Only partly correct because the ability of the design to be easily disassembled and cleaned is important.

No, "Don't over think it", but use the experience of those who have or have shot multiple cans to get the best suppressor for your needs.

I will also add that I often buy and try different guns, If a any gun doesn't fly my kite, it can pretty easily be sold... Not so with suppressors, so shop wisely.

Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I have decided to get my first suppressor. I am getting one for rimfires. Why wouldn't I go with something like the Optimus Micro over a Dead Air Mask since I don't care about weight and the Optimus would allow me to use it on a 223? Would the Optimus Micro be as quiet as a Dead Air Mask?

Paul, I just picked up my Optimus Micro last Friday (eight months with an e-file). I put it on my Ruger Mark 4 22LR but haven't shot it on that platform yet, but will pipe in once I have to see how quiet it is on a pistol compared to the Dead Air Mask.

The Two Tactical Innovation Quest's that I have are pretty heavy duty, stainless steel (baffles, end caps and tube & weigh 8 ounces). They are only rated for 22LR (I have read that some manufacturer's only rate their cans for 22LR because they do not want to go through testing them - let alone warranting them for other calibers). I would not hesitate to put them on a 17 HMR, but I would never, ever put them on a 5.56!!! I would expect that I would be plucking the pieces out of my face after the first trigger pull.

Soo, what's the first thing I did after getting the Optimus home? Spun it onto a bolt-action, 18.5 inch barreled .223, grabbed a pocket full of shells and headed over to the range. I consider the muzzle blast from a 223/5.56 wickedly nasty and don't shoot them without either a good suppressor (hunting only), hearing protection or both. I didn't expect much suppression on a 223 with this can. After shooting half a dozen rounds I took off the muff's with the intention of firing only one round to get an idea of the suppression (I figured that I'd regret doing even one round), ended up firing four rounds. Not bad, the boom sounded like it was out in front, no earsplitting deafening crack or boom. Hearing safe - Not, but it seriously attenuates that nasty blast/crack. I was impressed, I would not hesitate to hunt with it (not high volume shooting, but mostly walking hunting like for coyotes, etc.).

After I had pressed the buy button on this suppressor, I had buyer's remorse... WTF? I've got better suppressors for my .223, and, I should have gotten a dedicated larger volume .223 can (hearing safe) for my .223! The buyers remorse is gone. I like this can.

I hope to find someone around here who has a threaded 17 HMR so I can try it (and the Dead Air Mask) for a suppression comparison.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum