Good morning folks! I'm not much of a handgun guy so I find the need to ask the very knowledgeable folks here a question or two. I have a dear old friend I've know all my life (who's even less of a handgun guy then me) who bought 2 Ruger LCR's (his wife's is an LCRX) for concealed carry a few years back. He lives in northern Michigan and seems to be having lots of trouble finding 38 special ammo. Anyway since I handload I thought I'd load up enough to keep him out of trouble the rest of his days. He's not a computer guy either (very old school) so he doesn't go online shopping either. Anyway I bought a S&W 686+ back in the early 90's (357) but used to shoot lots of 38's in steel shoots and plinking at the range. My health is real bad so I haven't played with my few handguns in quite a while so I gathered up around 300 rounds of target loads (wadcutters and swc's) for them to practice with and loaded up another 300 rounds of what I considered carry rounds (I don't carry so it's guesswork on my part). 110 grain XTP's with 5.2 of Titewad, 125 XTP's with 7.0 of Longshot, 140 XTP's with 6.4 of Longshot and finally a few rounds of 110 XTP's with 7.6 grains of Longshot. The 110's with the 7.6 load are supposed to be at least 200 fps faster than the Hornady Critical Defense loads while the rest are claimed (in the load manuals to be right around the same as the Critical Defense loads). Of course all are JHP's which I thought would be the best option but reading thru some of the posts here find that maybe hardcast might be a better choice. I know nothing about cast bullets so I never looked into them at all.

As I said my health is real bad and I may be bed ridden in a short while so I'm trying to setup friends and family with what they might need in the bleak future our country seems to be headed in. What are the folks here using for carry loads in their short barreled 38 revolvers? I really don't want to load much more for them only to find out the JHP's are inconsistent in expansion and penetration and I should have set them up with hardcast! I'm not trying to start any arguments but I'm really lacking in knowledge and don't have the time and ability to do my own testing. I have no intention of laying around in bed for years making the medical money machine a small fortune at my expense so I'd like to get these folks setup with loads at least before I pull the plug so to speak.

I'd really appreciate your input on these loads I've given them already and what might be a better option for them before I run out of time!
Thanks for the help!!!!

OH, also it's like pulling teeth trying to get them to practice and give feedback on loads! Kinda frustrating! Funny, most of the guys Ive spoken with thru the years all claim to love to shoot, but trying to get them to a range is again like pulling teeth! I just don't get it!

If hardcast is your preference, please let me know what and where to find em if ya don't mind.

Last edited by GhettoSportman; 11/16/22. Reason: brain farts

Proper prior practice prevents piss poor performance!