I stumbled across this thread on a random internet search and it describes exactly the question I am trying to answer right now... Pops passed a few years ago and left me a Ruger LCR 38 Special +P and I am looking for a self defense round for it... this YT vid by Paul Harrell concludes that if you are using standard pressure loads then the wadcutter or semi-wadcutter is the way to go instead of a JHP (like a Hornady XTP), here is part 3 is his video series on the topic:

If you are a reloader, and a bullet caster, NOE makes what I think is the perfect bullet for .38 Special self-defense loads, 148 grain hollow base wadcutter (can be loaded upside down as a hollow point, or not):

NOE 360-148-WC

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Because of this thread I ordered the mold and plan to make this my self defense bullet for the LCR. Ran it through QL and looks like I will start with 3.2 grains of W231 which will hopefully give a mild recoil load at around 525 fps, and see what happens. I'll cast the bullet with soft lead and powder coat, and resize to 0.358.