It is hard to leave those Walmart closeout Vanguards of a few years ago out of this discussion. I bought three of the wood stocked 243s at $325 ea. I still have one.

It gets my vote for third place, only because it was a closeout deal and not regular price.

Originally Posted by TnBigBore
The blind mag Walmart Winchester 70 push feed plastic stock rifles were a heck of a good value and still are on the used market. I have had several in 270 and 30-06 and all have been shooters and have the older better Winchester 70 trigger.

2'nd place goes to that Winchester "Black Shadow" kit. I bought one in 300 Win Mag 30 years ago new at Walmart for $300. The 3-9x32 Simmons went on a 22 and a decent scope went on the 300.

Winchester's discount rifles still had their wonderful user adjustable trigger. I lightened the trigger pull and glassed the action into the tupperware. But the rifle never shot to my expectations. I sold it to a workmate after showing him my targets. He and his sons have been killing deer and elk with it for over 25 years.

My first place vote goes to the old Win 670 push feed. I have had two, both in 30-06. With trigger adjustment and glass bedding they both shot inside .75 MOA with 165 gr BTs or Sierra 165 gr game king HP, and the second one also with the Hornady 190 gr boat tail spire point.

It is essentially the same rifle as the later Black Shadow synthetic. But for the "hardwood" stock.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.