About this time last year I bought a Marlin XL 7 SS 270. Made in Kentucky from a very old dealer friend I had helped get into the bidnizz back in the early/mid '80's. Got it scoped up and headed to the range in anticipation of a perfect go anywhere anytime rig. Opened a box of older WW factory ammo and sent a round down range....perfect 1st shot, made a couple more rounds downrange and then Oh SxxT !! somethin's wrong here... let the rifle cool a while Then tried to open the bolt again ....ugh it was stuck. Finally used the butt of my gloved up hand a few times on the bolt handle and Wah Lah !!! it opened ...but with the tinkling sound of gun parts hitting the cement side walk and inside the composite stock are still ringing in my ears every time I pick the Marlin 270 up.

Been almost a year looking to find someone who could find the Savage extractor necessary to the repair job. Then found a guy next couty north of me who said UH HUH I can fixit and I laughed. He called me a week later and said $81 please sir and the Marlin cycles like a new one should .

I am still waiting on the weather to clear, as most of the range's bench's are not under a roof....but I can cycle the bolt slicker than blowing you nose full of snot now that the bolt is slicker than greased poop.

Shooting single shots & using a cleaning rod to knock the spent rounds out of the chamber, the rifle shoot's a reliable 1/2" group in almost any thing in factory ammo I've run thru it so far....I smile everytime I think about how close I got to dumping the rifle in the river and calling my Insurance Agent about the rifle that was "stolen" outta the truck. I took a large hog with it that thought he was hiding and peeking at me thru a hand sized hole in some really dense brush at about 150- 170 yards ...bang flop....gotta luv happy endings.

Last edited by sakoron; 11/21/22. Reason: Clarity