Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Swifty, a point you might have missed in the LASC site was that a balance between pressure and hardness is a rational objective. It requires a certain amount of pressure to obdurate any given alloy hardness, yet at the same time there are limits to the peak pressure that any alloy will tolerate. If one uses hard cast with a proper fit at modest velocity there won't likely be much problem, but on the other hand, hard cast with low pressures and a wee bit of bad fit will lead like the dickens.

Simple solution? Start casting your own.

DD I didn’t miss it, that coincides with my findings since 85. Casting was tried, didn’t want it or enjoy it. Thanks.

Originally Posted by flintlocke
Mr Shortcut man sees a target like Dan's, and he thinks, damn these cast bullet guys are onto something here, I want to do that too. So out comes the catalog, yup, there they are, I'll order up a bunch and do what Dan does. Mr Shortcut resizes his brass with the same dies as jacketed, randomly picks a powder charge, seats the bullet, crimps the bejasus out of it. Never pound casts his throat or measures grooves. And it all goes wrong, the dream lays shattered. Old Betsy leaded to the gills. Random holes on target.
Moral to my simple ass story, if you are in a hurry, don't want to invest the time and effort to learn the ropes, buy PC bullets and use them. Please Mr Shortcut, don't trash the people who are trying to impart knowledge and skills for your benefit. If you buy a bunch of 'hardcast' bullets and they work for you right out of the gate...hurry and buy some powerball tickets too, cause brother you're on a roll.

You sir are a prick, in my 35 year quest to find a consistent supplier of HC that suited my needs and worked, did I ever take a shortcut. I didn’t want to use GC on softer alloys which was my question to Gnoahhh which he precisely answered. This to any handgun loaders should have brought the thought, gee if I put a GC on a 12 just maybe I can push the velocity up to meet my needs. Naw, stupid thought.

So shortcut, no fugging way. In no way did I diss anyone until bringing posterity into it. You wanna ramble go ahead, but at least put some meat in with the potatoes

Swifty