As a NY resident, I frequently hunt in PA with a PA non-res license. I was getting my licenses on-line for many years. One year when I was intending to hunt whitetails on PA game property, I was sitting in my car waiting for the heavy rain to stop. Game wardens enter the parking area and check some guy who just dragged out a doe.

They approach my car and ask for my hunting license. I tell the guy that its hanging on the back of my backpack and that I'll have to get it. When I hand him the license, he initially tells me that he's never seen one like it and asks where i got it. I explained that it was mailed to me in NY. Upon further inspection he says that it appears to be last year's license. I look and he was correct, so I reached into the car where the new rule book was and produced the current license which was still in it. I had forgot to swap it out with last years. The guy tells me that he has to "write me up". I remind him that not only do I possess the current license but that I am merely sitting in my car and not doing anything that requires a license of any type. The guy says that I have an "improperly displayed license", even though it was laying on the floor attached to my pack and I wasn't hunting. He tells me, quite candidly. that he has to justify his job.

I guess I was guilty off intending to hunt with an improperly displayed license. I wonder if I said I was there just bird watching???