Originally Posted by cotis
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
Originally Posted by cotis
Haven't had one personally, but plenty of friends and family that have. I have been in the operating room watching one being done December 2019, part of my job - if anyone wants to know the details. Just be glad you are asleep, short answer.

Cotis,

I refused to research or watch the videos on how the operation takes place. It wouldn’t do me any good to ramp up the anxiety. It needed to be fixed and that really is the bottom line.

The actual surgery took about an hour and a half.
They made me very comfortable before and after - and it was a very pleasant nap. I knew going that the surgery was the easy part and the recovery is on me and that’s exactly how it’s been going.

Not watching videos is probably for the best if you don't know the details of what and why they are doing what they do. It has been said here several times and is 100% correct, DO THE PT PROPERLY AND AS MUCH AS YOU CAN!! It is the single biggest factor you can control in obtaining a successful outcome.

For those considering having a procedure like this done, do your research on the doctor and the hardware to be used. A TKA (proper name - total knee arthroplasty) can be done several ways - old school by using guide blocks to create the cuts that the new implant attaches to, PSI - patient specific implants where a custom block is 3D printed based on CT scans ad doctor's preferences for angles, etc., computer navigation where the cuts or burring tool is controlled / directed via CT scans to which the metal implant is then attached to. Then there is cemented vs. cementless implants, different finishes to the implants that have different wear resistance, ligament sparing vs. ligament replacement style implants, blah blah blah. There is no "this is better than that...", much of it is surgeon preference, some is cost vs. what insurance will cover, some is availability in your area or particular hospital. A good doctor with a mediocre old-school implant is more successful than a newbie with the latest and greatest. Just my opinion, but it is an informed one.

@ Cotis
When they replaced my right shoulder, I was "black & blue" from the base of my neck to my elbow! 🤯
Think they used a winch truck and a jackhammer!
The black and blue disappeared in time.
The "pain" disappeared immediately upon regaining consciousness!