Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
If I ever load mine for bear defense, it will be loaded with the new Swift A-Frame 10mm bullets.
Nearly 60, and senile already?

Quite possibly. What did I miss?
Sticky, expanding bullets at mediocre velocity out of a handgun is the opposite of what you want against a bear. You want to break things, and make deep holes.

I'm sure the Swifts are great in hunting scenarios. But they'll never penetrate as deeply or as straight as a non-expanding bullet.

The partition in these rests very far forward, so you don't get dramatic expansion, but enough to create a larger diameter permanent wound cavity. You'd obviously lose a little penetration, but I don't think it's enough to matter. I'd definitely do some testing before I adopted a load.
One aspect of terminal ballistics physics that a lot of people seem to miss is that it takes energy to deform a bullet. The energy spent on deforming a bullet is energy it doesn't have to destroy tissue. If the bullet doesn't deform, all the energy it has goes into destroying tissue. Bullets that resist deformation don't necessarily create smaller wound channels, either. That is a function of their fluid displacement properties.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.