These last few posts bring out some valid points.

1)Reliabilty of function for a defense pistol. Doesn't matter if its for defense against humans or against bears, if you need it, it better be reliable. That is why I mentioned buying a lot of bullets and ensuring reliability in a semi auto platform.

2)All bullets are not equal, especially cast which uses different alloys, different shapes, hardness, brittleness, etc. The exact same bullet but cast at a different alloy can mean the difference in effectiveness. Ive seen brands of commercial cast bullets come apart and fragment because they were too brittle. Some brands are known for being cast with the right alloys at the right hardness, and with many uses in the field, are known to reliably penetrate heavy bone. Do your research and ensure you are picking a company known for casting bullets that are effective. That is a plus of the solid copper bullet, I haven't experienced them fragmenting when hitting heavy bone.

Same goes with jacketed bullets. Some that should be effective at first glance are not. When I did my testing on cow elk skulls, I tested a boutique 200 grain flat nose full metal jacket bullet, marketed as a defensive round in the woods against some dangerous game. This bullet had an extremely thin brittle jacket, and the lead alloy core was also very brittle, resulting in the bullet coming apart in the first skull.

Regards,
Manny

Last edited by mannyspd1; 12/01/22.