The Lux I handled was also a .223, and I can’t deny it tempted me somewhat. However I was already aware that it had a 1-9” twist, the same as a perfectly good Hawkeye I had sitting at home, and its weight was right up there as well. The only real reason for me to jump on it was the ability to swap barrels, at that time still theoretically possible, if not actually so due to a lack of parts. I passed, deciding to wait and see, and when the recall was announced shortly after, I was glad that for once I’d thought with “the right head” so to speak.

That same store also had an Alpha in 6.5 You Know What, but I didn’t look at it. I did check out one in .300 Win not long after elsewhere, but I don’t have much use for something in that configuration, and again without the cartridge-swapping feature, the appeal isn’t there for me as compared to other stuff. The Trail model has some possibilities, but they were slow to appear, and I see no magazines available for them at present, a serious omission.

What fresh Hell is this?