One thing that has happened in many, if not most, industries is people move on (as MD mentioned with CZ).
When we were young people planned to go to a company to stay their entire working life. Now it’s just, “I’ll work there until I find something better”. Having long term employees meant (often meant that is) having pride in what the company was producing and working not only for one’s self, but also for the good of the company.
The companies are partly to blame for this change along with the high cost of retirement plans.
Now employees put money into 401K’s. There is no retirement plans any more except for the muckity mucks.
My kids have worked for more companies than I have. My step son might be working for three different places in one year.
I think this change started in the ‘90’s with the abandoning of retirement plans. A second reason, is older employees cost more than new ones, why keep a tired 60 year old when a 30 year old is available at 50% to 75% of the cost?

For employees changing jobs is easier than buying a new pickup or maybe as easy as buying a new suit.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally