Originally Posted by roundoak
Originally Posted by hillestadj
Originally Posted by roundoak
Farm work is interfering with my deer hunting this year because my hired man quit on me a couple of months ago. My time in the woods has been shortened considerably, but was able to fill my buck tag yesterday morning.

While spreading manure on a ridge I noticed a buck and doe at the edge of a field. I stopped the machinery and my Redfield 10x42 binos indicated the buck was a shooter. I kept the tractor engine and PTO on the spreader going and watched the deer enter a small grove of Sumac and grassy area that was top of a brushy draw that led into the woods. I called one of the hunters staying at the cabin and said I need three guys to push a couple of deer and to meet me at the farm.

We met up and devised a plan to roust the deer and send them my way. I was dropped off on a township road and I told them to give me an hour to work my way north through the woods and to get in place. Hour and 15 minutes later there was a crack of a rifle. I thought, damn someone shot the buck, then I saw movement in the area I hoped the deer would have showed.

The buck came pussy footing thru some Gooseberry bushes in a rocky sided funnel that leads to some real thick brush. The buck did not make it thru.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Dang bud - heck of a buck and a better story! Thanks for taking us with you.

Did I miss rifle details?
Savage 99-A, 250-3000.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Whose rifle??

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!