Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
22” 7mm Creedmoor. grin

Plenty of room in that mag for 180s at 2500-2600 fps. If only.

I'd really like a 7 Creedmoor too. My 7-08 is shooting great when it's not eating scopes but I still think the Creedmoor case is a better design. I'm happy that I got a 7-08 that shoots well though and I have a tac driving 6 Creedmoor. If I could get another one it would be a 6.5 Creedmoor or a 22 Creedmoor.

Most sammi spec 7-08 reamers I've seen don't have a great design around the neck shoulder junction when compared to the newer spec Creedmoor stuff. Maybe Barrett made some adjustments or came up with their own reamer specs but likely not. A lot of standard spec 7-08s shoot great. Givin the 3" mag box on the FC a 7-08 is fine on that action. I'm just a fan of the 30 degree shoulder, lead angles, and throating on most of the Creedmoor spec stuff.

But I'm doing well in a 18.5" 7-08 that's shooting 1/2 moa with 180s at 2500ish fps. My last batch had single digit extreme spread with one of my favorite powders h4350 in new stareline brass. I started I need to run an eldx through an elk and see how it outperforms the 150 eldx I used on an elk 2 years ago with less than good penetration. The lower speed longer bullet should help.

Bb
Agreed, Bb.

What scope is riding on your 7-08 these days? It seems like an anomaly of a rifle to eat so many rugged scopes. I’m still not sure what to make of the underlying cause. I keep thinking rings/bases, but I think you’ve mentioned addressing that in the past. My Kimber Montana 7-08 is at least as lightweight, and it’s been reliable with the same SS 3-9x for a lot of rounds shooting the 162 AM at ~2650.